View of Maskenthine Lake Constructed in 1976, the dam provides flood
control for the town of Stanton, one and one-half miles south of
the lake. The area is approximately 740 acres in size, including
the 100 acre lake, which provides many recreational activities to
the public. The lake is a popular fishery in the district, and is
stocked by the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission. Other recreational
activites include hunting, boating, picnicking, hiking, camping,
swimming, and winter sports. An arboretum has been established on
the east side of the lake. Other tree plantings and windbreaks are
located throughout the area. No park permit or fee is required for
Dam and Reservoir
The flood control structure on the south end of the lake is a 1,500
foot long earth dam, The 53 foot high structure was the first project
in the State of Nebraska funded by the Resources Development Fund
that is administered by the Nebraska Natural Resources Commission.
The permanent pool storage of the reservoir is 927.5 acre-feet, whereas
the flood storage is 2,551 acre-feet. Almost 6,000 acres drain into
The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission manages the Maskenthine fishery.
Some of the biologists' duties at the fishery are stocking and monitoring
the fish population, conducting surveys and moitoring fish growth
rates. Northern pike, walleye and channel catfish are stocked annually.
Other species present in the lake include largemouth bass, bluegill,
black crappie, black bullhead and yellow perch.
* Boating is allowed in most areas of the lake although a 5 M.P.H
no wake regulation is enforced. The boat ramp is on the west side
of the lake.
* A sand swimming beach is a popular gathering site on the southwest end of
* A handicapped accessible fishing pier is located south of the swimming beach.
The water is 18 feet deep off the southeast corner of the pier for added fishing
enjoyment. The fishing pier has been named "Chet's Pier", in memory
of longtime fisherman, C.V. Gaddie of Stanton.
* A shower house is also available for Maskenthine campers. The shower house
is handicap accessible with shower stall, sinks, and restrooms.
* A 33 pad camper area with electrical hookups was constructed in 1989 near
the swimming beach.
* Hunting is allowed throughout the area except within 200 yards of any building,
campground, boat ramp parking area, swimming beach, picnic area, or where prohibited
* Hiking and bird watching are other activities well suited to Maskenthine
* Winter sports are available.
Arboretum and Native Plant Display
An arboretum is an area maintained for growing trees, shrubs, vines,
prairie and woodland plants. The Maskenthine Arboretum is a collection
of native and exotic tree species planted in a natural arrangement.
Established in 1976, the area is used by schools and other groups
for nature studies and general enjoyment.
While the arboretum encompasses about 20 acres, tree plantings have
also been established for wildlife, habitat, research, windbreaks
and beautification throughout the area.
In 1988, a native plant display was constructed
just south of the arboretum. Plants are obtained from the Nebraska
and new species are added each year.
In 1989, the Lower Elkhorn NRD purchased 160 acres
north of the lake. The quarter section was acquired to protect
the lake from silting
in and to expand wildlife habitat and recreational opportunities.
* Vehicles are allowed on roadways and parking areas only.
* Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
* Swimming permitted in designated area only.
* Pets are prohibited on the swimming beach.
* Fires are allowed only in grills.
* Operation of snowmobiles is prohibited.
* Camping is limited to 14 consecutive days.
* Quiet shall be maintained between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. in the camper pad area.
* Swimming beach is closed between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m.
* Tent camping (not on camping pads) $5 per tent per day
* Electric pads - 30 amp (110 volts) $12
* Electric pads - 50 amp ( 220 volts) $14
* Overflow camping in north lots $5
For more information about Maskenthine Lake, contact the
Lower Elkhorn Natural Resources District.
601 East Benjamin Avenue
Norfolk, NE 68701