The city of Stanton, located in northeast Nebraska, 12
miles southeast of Norfolk, is the county seat of Stanton
The First white settlers arrived in 1865 from Indiana
and Wisconsin. Stanton saw little growth until after the
coming of the railroad in 1879, when more than two dozen
businesses sprung up and two churches were organized. Stanton
became an incorporated village in 1881, the year a tornado
struck with buildings under construction being destroyed,
causing great hardship and loss. By 1893, Stanton had bounced
back, gaining in population and becoming a city, second
The first school was in granary west of town. As the population
increased, a site was chosen for a school in 1879 on a
hill above the business area being developed. There are
two elementary schools: Stanton Public and St. John's Lutheran.
In the fall of 1993, citizens of Stanton approved a bond
issue for a new high school completed in 1996. The old
high school, which is joined to the new one, has become
the Middle School to alleviate overcrowding in the Elementary
School, built in 1969. There is a Head Start School and
Noah's Ark School in Stanton for pre-school children.
Primary industries located in Stanton County are Nucor
Steel and US Greenfiber, an insulation manufacturer.
County Historical Society